Blog Archive

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Visit with my Dad





I saw my 97year old Dad on July 8th and was able to spend time with him. I knew that things had really changed from the last time I saw him (7 years ago), but I truly wasn’t prepared for the magnitude of how much his health had deteriorated. It was nice to know though, that for the moment, he knew who I was and was so touched that I flew out to see him. He cried with joy and just said my name over and over again: “Martha, Martha!” He was in a wheelchair, so I wheeled him outside and sat and held his hand and we enjoyed the sunshine and the warmth of the day. He fell asleep for quite a while, and I sat and cried while I watched him. I remembered him as a robust hard working farmer who was so full of life, and it was hard seeing him completely unable to do anything for himself. I hope that my being there will help release him to go ‘home’ now. I was the last of the kids to spend time with him. It was so good for me to be able to see Dad and to sit with him; even when knowing that most likely 5 minutes after leaving him, he probably had no memory of my being there. I’ve wanted to be able to see him for a very long time. I hugged him and kissed him goodbye, knowing that that was the last time I would be with him until we’re both in heaven. It was a bitter sweet reunion.

No comments: